Thursday, September 19, 2013

Marissa: Sweaters and PSLs and Senators, oh my!

Ah, it's that time of year again... when the weather starts to get a chill, Starbucks is serving Pumpkin Spice Lattes (THANK GOD), a weird virus as well as mono and strep is getting passed around friends, roommates, lovers and embarrassing one-night-stands.

Students are busy over-committing themselves to classes, student orgs, internships, jobs and parties, professors are already scaring them with talks of "mid-terms" and GWorld money is depleting at a surprisingly rapid pace.

Also- SIDE NOTE- our Fall shows are returning: New Girl, Hart of Dixie, HIMYM. Have you two figured out how to watch US TV online over there? 

This last week I have had some type of flu, so I've cleared (more like cleared somethings) out of my schedule. This has been a blessing in disguise. I've been sleeping, I've actually been doing (most) of my readings, I've been enjoying my soy PSLs on the beautiful roof of my building on E st while wearing cozy sweaters. Peaceful moments like these have made me think: maybe I don't want to "do great things" in life. Maybe I want to live a life of leisure. Sleep, read literature, take baths, drink tea while catching up with friends, take long walks around the city, go to events because I have the free time. Go be a yoga teacher in a small beach or mountain town.

But alas, I am brought back to reality when I see something that fires me up, pulls me to activism, parties and overcommitment. Yet, I will still never forget the beautiful moments of peacefulness that free time and getting enough sleep brings. Hopefully in my future I will always stake-out time for myself.

In other news,

  • ALL of Generic's four shows for the semester are CAST! 
  • I am going to be a judge for Shakespeare Smackdown this weekend. 
  • I am FINALLY going to make it to the National Book Festival this weekend
  • GW Animal Advocates is on a roll -- our first body meeting is next week and we already have several events lined up! (Notice all of the annoying facebook event invites ;)) I am teaming up with some orgs on campus like the Food Justice Alliance, Roots N Shoots and maybe others
  • I am so excited for next weekend because I have the Walk the Moon concert, the Walk for Animals, Student Theatre Kickball and DC VegFest
  • I am going to the Marine Corps Ball on November 2 with my parents and still debating who will be my date...

and now let me tell you about my internship with Senator Blumenthal:
So, as one of the seven interns, my primary responsibility is to sort emails. We read constituent emails, and snail mail, and have to figure out what it's about, then label it with a specific, pre-approved label and figure out with Legislative Assistant (LA/LC) it will go to. This is actually a little more interesting than it may sound. I try to take over all the emails with subjects that I find interesting, like animal welfare, environmentalism and women's issues. Other than that, we get to work the front desk/phones and do any other tasks that may be asked of us. We are encouraged to contact an LA/LC who specializes in a particular issue area we are interested in. There is a guy who is in charge of animal issues! So I've been talking to him about starting a project. He says he's new, which is perfect, because I have a lot of knowledge about animal legislation and can help him. SO stoked ;) And next week, I am getting trained to give tours of the capitol building. So send over your friends and family so I can tour them!!!

Oh! And I was a gorilla, during out prop closet cleanout and scared the shit out of FPP board ;) <3
watch video here: http://instagram.com/p/eQIsG0SWOy/ hehe 

No comments:

Post a Comment