Monday, September 16, 2013

Alex: Has it really only been 2 weeks?

Hallo from a Starbucks in Amsterdam!

Yes. I came to a Starbucks to blog in true Carrie Bradshaw fashion. And it's my mother's birthday and her one wish for me was to keep blogging (happy birthday & love you mom!). I have decided to do this blog post as an Amsterdam poem (dedicated to my mother of course).

I amsterdam

All of the rain. All of time.
Metropolitan girl figuring out her way. 
Sun is severely cherished.
Tall people surrounding me. 
Either be on a bike or be out of the way.
Red light district field trip (but seriously. It was a class sponsored field trip and we had a tour)
Dutch people do not take my attempt at Dutch very seriously.
And everyday I learn something new. 
Magical. Amsterdam does not feel like real life. It has only been two weeks and I know it's going to be so hard to return to the states. I love Amsterdam. 

So that poem is not all you're getting even though it was a masterpiece in it's own. I'm sitting here in Starbucks listening to music that makes you want to look at the clouds and have feelings. I've been thinking a lot about how this semester I was supposed to be in Egypt and how crushed I was when that didn't work out. I thought 'It's really true. Everything does happen for a reason. I love Amsterdam and I know it's about to change my life in a positive way.' ** Boy George just came on, but I'm gonna keep going with this mood for a couple more sentences* School is a different set up, but our lectures have been pretty thrilling. It's interesting to be in classes where every lecture is so captivating. Last week we our topics were Feminism in the Netherlands, Black Feminism and Prostitution. This week it's LGBT rights in the Netherlands (I can talk about Queer things for days and it's exhilarating to be around people who feel the same way.) I saw the most beautiful rainbow today and attempted to take a pic, shown above, and I definitely feel like it was a sign that this is gonna be the good life. 

Host Family Update: I HAVE BONDED WITH MY HOST BROTHER (17). I truly consider us friends now. He plays the guitar and he asked me if I sang so we can jam together. I told him I did just so we can be friends. I feel good about that little white lie. He'll figure out soon enough it was a lie and I'm sure he'll appreciate me trying. Did you know that the Netherlands is the world's tallest country? My host brother asked me how it felt being small. You don't really realize how small you are until you're in a bar in the Netherlands. My host sister (15) was at her boyfriend's this weekend so she missed out on the bonding, but I'm still trying.  I am really starting to feel comfortable with my host family and it's starting to feel like home.

I also found a trail right by my neighborhood! It's a really great escape from the crazy, busy life of Amsterdam Center, where I spend most of my time. It was wonderful to debrief and talk a walk along the waters. 


I honestly cannot believe that I have only been in The Netherlands for two weeks. I know I keep saying that, but it's true. I feel comfortable getting to where I'm going and I even gave directions to tourists multiple times! I'm interested in seeing what Amsterdam and fate has in store with me.



Keep dry & keep reading,

Alex






No comments:

Post a Comment