Saturday, September 28, 2013

Alex: My Thoughts Pre- Morocco

At around 17:40, I will be in an airplane taking off to Morocco. I thought I would document my thoughts going into Morocco to compare them with my thoughts after this 2 week trip.

1. I can't help but think that this is the day I've been waiting for. Two years of Arabic study, falling in love with the Arab culture and immersing myself in learning more about Arab sexuality has led me to today. To finally see if everything I have been dreaming of is true. 

2. I still don't know if I am bringing appropriate clothes. All summer, I didn't buy clothes that I couldn't wear in Egypt. But after all of that I still don't know if I have enough/ if what I have is right. It's going to be a 'test and see the results' kind of thing I guess. Everyone in my program is kind of at a lost, so it feels good we are all on the same page.

3. I couldn't really imagine a better group to go on this adventure with. I know that we all have each other's back. It's gonna be a pretty intimate 2 weeks for us that includes 10 hour bus rides and hotel rooms, but I believe it's going to bring us closer together. Going from Amsterdam to Morocco is a whole other ball game. We'll need each other more than ever because 2 weeks is more than enough time to experience some serious culture shock. And while some people feel like this trip is going to bring some of us over the edge, I love this group. I cannot wait for the two weeks of sleepovers.

4. I do not actually know Arabic like people think I do. 4 semesters, 4 times a week, 4 hours a night of homework and I can really just say hello and tell you about my family. I hope people aren't expecting much from me, but I have my Arabic flashcards just in case.

5. Fun Fact: We're literally traveling all around Morocco. Some of the cities we'll be exploring include Casablanca, Rabat, Fes, Marrakech and a small village in Agadir.

5. And in this moment, I swear we are infinite. 


No comments:

Post a Comment