Monday, September 9, 2013

Alex: Has a Home

First of all here are the photos from the castle that I promised you:
I decided to crop the chickens. It's called Karma. 
Yes, That's a moat.
Yes, I will be married here. 



Second, the title of the blog was not misleading. I have indeed moved into my home stay. I am not gonna lie, this is going to be more of a adjustment than I originally expected. There is very little space in my new apartamente and what feels like a lot of people. But, before I talk about my insecurities let me introduce you to my situation. I live with a single mom and her three kids. The eldest son is 23 and a student at UvA and he is either in Amsterdam center or in his room so I don't think I'll be awkwardly encountering him much. The middle son is 17 and he is your typical 17 year old (kinda grungy with a kick of rebellion, or what would be rebellion if he didn't have the chillest mom in Amsterdam- which is saying a lot). He also helped me get to where I needed to get this morning so I'm really grateful for that. He's also smarter than me so I have to talk in a mature manner so I can keep up with him sometimes. **I just paused writing this blog post to have dinner with the fam and I have decided that I'm really going to like this kid** Last but not least I have a 15 year old host sister. She is actually quite a sweetheart and says she loves having visitors stay with them. That's a relief to me because I still feel like a guest in someone else's home. I do feel like there are going to be some 15 year old girl moods in my future though. My host mom is very very friendly and loves to talk to me about Netherlands politics. I know absolutely nothing about Netherlands politics so I do not have much to contribute to the conversation. I am grateful to learn more though! Probably the most awkward thing about this situation is the fact that the family only talks in English when they're speaking directly towards me so I don't know what they're saying 98% of the time. Lucky for me, there's always some American television playing in the background so I just tune into that like I don't care that I don't understand their conversations (but I totally do). Bad news is that I live so far from everyone else. I am the last stop on the Metro. For all my DC people: think about actually making it to Largo/ New Carrolton and finding me.
OH because I'm in the Netherlands to study international perspectives on sexuality and gender, I must share this. On the weekends, the two teenagers' significant others stay with us. Because of this, we all must go to our own rooms at 22:30 so the teenagers can have some privacy. I took this as 'hide in your room for the rest of the night or you may see some teenagers getting it on'. At around 23:00 I really had to pee. Did I risk it? No, no I did not. Although this leaves me in an awkward position, this is one of the many reasons I adore the Netherlands. Their sexual education system really is superior to the States and the teenagers have a good grasp on their own sexuality without it being Miley Cyrus overbearing.

Basically what all of Amsterdam Center looks like, so it's obvi an easy place to navigate. (NOT)

Fun facts about Amsterdam thus far:
1. IT'S NOT A JOKE THERE REALLY ARE BIKES EVERYWHERE. Bikes have more rights on the road than cars. SIT bought us our own bikes to use around the city! I had to basically get a children's one because the Dutch are so tall so mine is a cute red and names 'The beagle.
2. We went to a non-profit Queer club last night (De Trut). It was in a refurbished 80s squat & was ran entirely by volunteers. The DJ played some sick 80s & 90s tunes. I felt like I was in a 90s teen movie. It was absolutely perfect.
3. A Coffee Shop is not a place to actually get a coffee and maybe a breakfast pastry. Honestly, it's a little bizarre to pass a coffee shop and see/smell people smoking weed so casually. Sometimes it feels like Amsterdam is not real life. 
4. Amsterdam does not believe in DayQuil. I woke up with a cold yesterday and it's IMPOSSIBLE to find my home cold remedies (2 Dayquil, three ibuprofen and a Orange Nantucket Nectar every 3 hours) The only medicine they sell is an overdose of Vitamin C and some nose spray. I have to say, it's a little miserable.  I need to be medicated and stat. 
5. The Dutch are extremely attractive. And tall. And attractive.  

It's extremely hard to believe I am only a week and some change into my program. I have made some strong bonds with the other students, have started getting use to the public transport and am absolutely enchanted my the magical place that is Amsterdam.



No comments:

Post a Comment