Saturday, November 30, 2013

Mandy: Thankful


Happy belated Thanksgiving everyone! I am thankful for so many things in my life and this semester, so after I tell about my parent’s visit here, I have made an acronym to represent Thanksgiving, like I used to almost every Thanksgiving in elementary school.

I am thankful for my parents and all that they do. They just spent a week here in London with me! We were able to celebrate their 32nd anniversary, Thanksgiving, and them coming to one of my favorite cities for the first time. They covered an amazing amount of ground while they were here and I was able to join them at (just to name a few): the Victoria and Albert museum, Trafalgar Square, Harrods, the evensong service at St. Paul’s Cathedral, shopping, and lots of great food. And we even took daytrips to Portsmouth, Bath, and Greenwich! It was fun to be a tourist with them, but tough to be a student at the same time (this “study” part of abroad sure does get in the way of things). I loved sharing this amazing city with my parents and it was great to have them here for Thanksgiving. Although it was strange to not be in the States for a proper Thanksgiving, I was still with loved ones, and that made the day special.

The Parents – as I was just saying above, Mama and Papa Smith are the best. I know it was a long trip to get here, but I will never be able thank them enough for coming here and everything they do for me.

Left: HMS Victory
                       Right: Roman Baths





Home – I can’t believe this semester ends in 2 weeks. Ready or not, the end of my semester here is coming, but I am comforted that I will be returning to family in both Jacksonville and DC. I know I couldn’t have done this without you.

Alex - I am thankful that I get to hug Alex in 13 days. I am thankful that even though we have had a roller coaster of a semester, are in two different countries, and have totally different programs, we have managed to be keep each other sane(ish) through the changes, because we know we are in it together.

New memories – Christmas is around the corner and there’s nothing like making Christmas memories in London. It was so wonderful to share the starting Christmas spirit with my parents.

Kool places – traveling around London and the surrounding towns is so cool that it’s spelled with a “K”

Fish and Chips – Still my favorite

Unbelievable friends - I am thankful for all of you reading this and the support you have given me while abroad. I’m extremely humbled that our friends and family read this blog (and hopefully find it interesting ;) ).

Life lessons – I have learned a lot here, and I know that I will continue to learn things from this semester, even after I return home.


So with my heart full of gratitude to the One who’s blessed me with it all,
Mandy



No comments:

Post a Comment