Sunday, December 8, 2013

Alex: Budapest, Sinterklaas and 6 Days Left in Holland


So much has happened while I was working on a 38 page research paper on what Dutch Law says about Sexuality and Family (nailed it.)


1. Budapest

I got to visit one of my best friends from GW, Oliver, in Budapest last week! This is where he originally hales from so it was great to see his home life, his girlfriend Bori (who I absolutely adore) and of course him! Oliver had the most exciting few days planned. We (Lyla & I) got to see so much of Buda and Pest, drink lots of mulled wine on the street and get a personal tour of all the cool bars. If that wasn't enough, Oliver took us to this amazing exhibit called, Invisible. It was a tour of four different rooms that were in complete darkness to represent what it would be like to be blind. It was so moving and a little frightening to be in complete darkness for over an hour.





And as you can see from the photos Budapest is one of the most beautiful cities I have ever seen in the world. I actually miss it. The weather was perfect for us and we got a little snow at night. I am so grateful to know Oliver and Bori. They were fantastic hosts, tour guides and friends. 

2. Sinterklaas

I experienced one of the most magical experiences in Holland yesterday. My host mom, my host brother and his girlfriend and I went to my host mom's ex husband's house for Sinterklaas activities. All I have heard about Sinterklaas this semester is how all of Holland is debating whether or not it's racist because of 'Zwaarte Pete'. Zwaarte Pete is a little black slave who follows Sinter Klaas around with the presents. My conclusion: yes, it is very racist. But the Dutch don't believe in racism. Also not the point of this blog post. I experienced the true meaning of Sinter Klaas. Yesterday, my host mom's ex husband (Sam) made us an amazing Egyptian dinner (have I ever mentioned my host siblings are half Egyptian), and with the help of Sinter Klaas made us these amazing gifts. Apparently, you exchange gifts and notes from Sinter Klaas. Everyone else's notes were in Dutch so I couldn't understand what was going on, but everyone was laughing and having a grand time. I've only met Sam once, because he let me interview him for my ISP. But I think with the help of my host siblings he gave me the most thoughtful gift  I have ever received.

The note reads: Dear Alexandra, You've been a good girl this year, and we hope you liked the visit to Holland this year. But try to eat some more vegetables and let the snacks behind. Because f you eat to much snacks, you'll be as round as a tomato. And we wish you a nice stay in Amsterdam, don't ever forget the Santa Claus in Holland! Good luck with your studies and keep up the good work. It is a pity you didn't go to Egypt but I hope you liked this country even as much as Egypt. Greetings Santa Claus (Sinter Klaas) *That's an Egyptian pyramid.
My Sinter Klaas gift to my host family. They loved them and we wore our Christmas sweaters all night!

 3. 6 Days Left in Holland

6 Days. Six. Days. sixdays. 6days. WHAT? HOW DO WE ONLY HAVE SIX DAYS.  I STILL HAVENT GONE TO THE VAN GOGH MUSEUM OR ATE AT SARAH'S PANCAKE HOUSE. IM NOT READY TO LEAVE. stop. time. now.
But actually, this is a very bittersweet feeling. Obviously, I am so blessed by the opportunities I have had abroad and probably don't even deserve six more days in this amazing city. I'm ready to go home, but I'm not ready to leave the life I have made for myself here. I'm not ready to leave my host family, my best friends or the right to drink legally. I'm just not ready yet. But, it is a relief to know that in a week I get to travel the United Kingdom with two of my best friends. After that, I get to return to the States where people are ready to welcome me with open arms. Needless to say, I don't know how I feel, but I understand that the show must go on.


To the beginning of the holiday season,
Alex







No comments:

Post a Comment