Thursday, November 21, 2013

Alex: One Weekend In Barcelona

Hallo friends and family,

So as some of you probably know, Mandy's & I's Barcelona Dream didn't turn out the way that we wanted to. Due to circumstances outside of our control, Mandy was unable to join me in Barcelona for the weekend. I was heartbroken. You never realize how much you miss someone until you can't see them anymore. But it's okay! We're both safely in our respective countries planning a United Kingdom tour to take place in THREE WEEKS! AGH.

Thankfully Lyla, Ashley and Michael planned to be in Barcelona that same weekend so I had some people to play with for the weekend! Lyla & I took advantage of touristy things and went to a killer aquarium (where there were penguins!!!), walked up to find the jardins of Barcelona, and the next day went to Montserrat and climbed to THE TOP OF A MOUNTAIN. The weather on Saturday was awful and we were met with rain and heavy winds on the top of Montserrat. It was an exhausting weekend, but I was so thankful to have such a cute & patient travel buddy. Barcelona is known for it's nightlife and it's true. When I was heading to my flight at 3am, people were just beginning their nights! As someone who is not a big clubber, my favorite parts of the weekend were our long hikes through Spain and the Sangria tower that 5 of us couldn't finished (but we really tried!). It was good to be a new city for a little bit!
So, this was clearly a distraction on translating Dutch law.
Fun Fact: The Netherlands just passed new bill on lesbian parenthood which would make it so that if a lesbian couple is married and one of the mothers has a child the non-birth mother will have automatic legal parenting rights! My research now focuses on this bill and the immigration test. I currently can't get the term 'sexual politics' out of my head.

Wish me luck that I find interviewees in the next week!

xoxo
Alex

P.S. Next week, I am visiting one of my best friends from GW, Oliver, in Budapest, Hungary! He transferred to UCLA and I haven't seen him since May so I am ECSTATIC to be visiting him in his hometown!









No comments:

Post a Comment