Saturday, November 9, 2013

Alex: A Wrap Up of My Week

Hallo!

I was going to write this post on Thursday after I was on a high from my Community Volunteer Experience, but that didn't happen so now I'm going to tell you all about my week.

Monday: I spent Monday really missing my sisters. I Facebooked about it, but it's genuinely true. It's ridiculous how much I talk about them and then it finally hit me that it's hard to live my life without them. So relieved Louisa is enjoying GW though and I cannot wait to run into her on campus!! And I'm sure Sam is loving adult life so much Facebook is too college for her.

Tuesday: Dil, Lindsey, Priya, Lyla & I bought last minute concert tickets to see Birdy at the Melkweg. What. A. Beautiful. Soul. It was a truly incredible concert and Birdy n' her band sounded beautifully haunting and absolutely flawless. I miss live music and it really turned my slumpy Monday mood into gratitude for the experiences I have had thus far. It was also great to share such an amazing concert with some truly amazing people. We treated ourselves to Burger King afterwards and for a Tuesday, had a pretty solid night.

Wednesday: I GOT AN ISP ADVISOR. His name is Laurens Buijs and he's one of our module coordinators/ lecturers for our class. His research was part of our pre-departure reading assignments (and he's only 31!) and he was hands down one of the classes' favorite lecturers. I am so excited to have his guidance on what's going to be a stressful four weeks of conducting my Independent Study Project.

Thursday: I had my Dutch Final. I'd rather not talk about it and move on. I had my real first day at my Community Volunteer Experience! I went to help with Future Kids, a program where social work students tutor kids after school. I was really early so I went to Starbucks with the coach of the student (who is a 4th year student herself). She was so so helpful in laying out what I would be doing at Profor and telling me all about her time studying Social Work in Amsterdam! Then, I went to the elementary school that they tutor at. My job was just to observe for the day and I had a blast doing it! The other Master student's there were so welcoming and friendly. I'm so excited to go next week and weeks beyond that! (It was also good to talk to people in their 20s who are from Amsterdam!) They were extremely interested in my sexuality studies and had lots of questions, but it was awesome to talk to people outside of my program!

**Also we went out for drinks to celebrate the wonderful, Priya Nair's 21st birthday. Priya may be one of the coolest people I have ever met in my life so I hope she has a wonderful birthday weekend. love you gurl.

Friday: We went on a field visit to HIVOs located in Den Haag. HIVOS is a NGO that does advocacy, programme building and funding for NGOs all over the world. We focused on the work they do for women's rights and LGBT rights. It was a really neat organization! We then went to the beach because it meant a lot to my Academic Director for us to finish where we started (we visited a beach in Heemskerk during orientation week). Oh, did I mention that was our last day of classes?

ITS ISP PERIOD TIME. GET READY.

To research and emails,
Alex

 P.S. ICANNOTWAITTOBEINBARCELONAWITHMANDYNEXTWEEK. #spain #22

No comments:

Post a Comment