Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Mandy: A Proper British Christmas


It’s Christmas time here in London! Since term ends Friday, this week has been full of Christmas festivities, essays, and goodbyes.

Last week was the dorm’s James Bond themed Christmas party, but it seriously feels like yesterday that they had their welcome party on my first day here, when I met all of the people that would soon become dear friends. 

The next day, Isaac, Felix and I went to Harry Potter Studios! There are no words to describe how amazing it was. We stood in the original Great Hall, saw how flying brooms work, took pictures next to all of the greatest props of the movies, and the boys even had Butterbeer! It’s amazing how easily all of my Harry Potter knowledge came back from reading the books countless times…maybe that’s why my head doesn’t seem to have room for my essays…



My group of friends here live upstairs in Flat number 6 and we had a proper Christmas dinner on Monday night. Silverio and Joey cooked for hours: chicken, potatoes, carrots, stuffing (American style), broccoli, gravy. You name it, they made it, and it was all delicious. We exchanged Secret Santa gifts, had British Christmas crackers with toys in them, and ate until we couldn’t move. It was one of those moments where everything was perfect. I am so blessed that Flat 6 welcomed me into their little family here at King’s. They have brought me such joy and I am going to miss them dearly. It was strange to know that Christmas dinner was the last time we would all be together, since people are starting to go home for Christmas break. And although I am having trouble wrapping my head around the fact that these goodbyes I say here are a bit more permanent than ones I’ve previously said in my life, that moment, that Christmas dinner, was perfection.



This week I am also drowning in essays. I have written 8,000 words worth of essays since Friday and I have about 8,000 more to go. I haven’t written this much since last May at GW, so I’m feeling a bit rusty and stressed. I hate that my last week here has to be like this. But Alex comes on Saturday and then she, Sarah (from Alex’s program in Amsterdam) and I go on our UK trip!

So in summary, this week has been full of feelings – great, Christmassy, stressful, and strange. But I am feeling blessed by all of it – by Christmas shopping, endings, laughter, great dinners, unbelievable friends, and still more adventures ahead.

Much love to you all,
Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment