Friday, October 4, 2013

Alex: Today was a Fairytale, I Wore a (Maxi) Dress

I was right. Morocco is the moment that I’ve been dreaming of for a very long time. I cannot love this country, this culture, or this population more. It’s everything I have prepared myself for while preparing to study abroad in Egypt. While the Arab population cannot be grouped into one bubble, what people say about this culture is true. It is so welcoming, friendly and warm (the weather and people’s personalities). Also everything is just so beautiful. I constantly look out of the bus windows and everything catches my eye. Not to say that it’s not dirty, there aren’t stray cats everywhere and the buildings aren’t slowly falling down but it’s an old African country with a fascinating history and all of the smells, cats and broken pieces have their place in a very special history.  It differs from Amsterdam 100%. A lot of students can’t wait to be back in Amsterdam and neither can I, but at the same time I want so much more time with this beautiful country and welcoming culture. It’s going to be very hard to say goodbye to Morocco.

Right now, I am on a bus heading from Rabat to Fes. It’s really hard to sum up what we did this last week in Rabat, but I’ll give you a little bit of an idea.
-There was a lot of bargaining at the Medina (I ROCK at the Medina. Expect some great Xmas presents!)
- We had lectures on Muslim women & veiling, Islam & Homosexuality, Women & the Arab Spring, Muslim Sexuality Education and much much more.
- We visited the third biggest Mosque in the world (that was actually in Casablanca)
- We sang ‘It Wasn’t Me’ by Shaggy with Ronald McDonald and a bunch of  French/ Arabic speaking 6 year olds (also in Casablanca)
-We visited a NGO that helped unwed mothers who were displaced from their homes (We did a lot in Casablanca)
- I saw Joy Finneran and got to speak with other SIT students who were studying abroad in Morocco! They gave me incredible insight on what it was like to study abroad in a country completely different from Amsterdam. I loved seeing you, Joy, and I hope the rest of your semester is absolutely incredible. You deserve it!
- We had lunch with a Moroccan family in their homes. I went with three other students from my program and we had a PERFECT time. The family was so welcoming and we ate a lot, danced, and fell in love with the Moroccan family. ALSO the host dad was wearing a George Washington University shirt and it was just a total coincidence!!! I freaked out and yelled that that was my university in Arabic! They had a host student from GW 3 years ago. While we were all a little hesitant to do the home stay lunch in the first place, we couldn’t have had a better experience if we dreamt it. **Pictures to come later. 

All of these experiences have me on cloud 9. I am so overwhelmed with happy emotions and I cannot stop smiling.  It’s been an incredible experience and I can’t help but feel completely blessed. I realized last night that I am so filled with gratitude I am about to burst. So here is my gratitude bursting.

To my family: Mom, Nana, Theresa, Tami, Sam, Louisa, Kimmie, Mama & Papa Smith and all of the Nash family who I know are following my adventures closely- I couldn’t have had this amazing experience without your love and your support. Please know that I think about all of you guys everyday and I feel the love all the way in Africa. This trip has shown me how much people love me back home and how much support I have to live out all of my dreams.  I wish more than anything I could share this experience with all of you. But I’ll do the best I can by taking lots of pictures and regularly updating my blog.  I love you all to Morocco, The Netherlands and back to the USA.

To Shawnee, Raphael, Sean, Angelina, Boy Alex, Leigh, Kellie, Vicky, Phil, Marissa and Ariel: thanks for checking in when you can. It’s good to know that you all are thinking about me as much as I am thinking about all of you. I miss you and I hope GW & WVU & NJ are treating you well. My heart is filled with so much love every time I get a Facebook message or a Gchat from someone back home. It makes being away a lot easier.

To SIT Netherlands (Including Yvette & Astrid): I actually don’t know how many of you read my blog, but if one of you decided to read it today know that I unconditionally, wholeheartedly love everyone on this trip. In short 6 weeks, you guys have changed my life in a truly incredible way. I have learned so much from every single one of you and I cannot wait for the next 6 weeks together. What an exceptionally brilliant & beautiful group of college students.  Thanks so much for going on this journey with me.

Last, but definitely not least, thank you Mandy for being you. It’s amazing that even when we’re on different continents, you are always there for me. I have no words to describe my gratitude.  I will love you forever.

Sorry for the cheesiness y’all, but I just could not have done any of this without the people in my life and sometimes one has to take time to recognize this.




To one more week in Morocco and 6 more incredible weeks in Amsterdam,



Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment