Saturday, August 31, 2013

Alex: Ready to Run

The first thing you probably need to know is that I am the one who forced Mandy & Marissa to blog with me. 

I did this for one of three reasons:
1.  I'm not an interesting enough person to blog about myself.
2. It's an easy and convenient way for us to all keep in touch with each other & with our friends and family.
3. I do have hopes of one day getting a book deal out of it, but I'm not gonna try to predict anything.

Mandy, Marissa & I have been roommates since day 1 of undergrad. There is no doubt in my mind that we communicate with each other everyday and they know things about me that I don't know even know. It's going to be hard not to have that immediate contact with them whenever I want (mainly need). I'm used to sending one of them a text and being able to see them within the next hour. Of course, maybe 4 months apart will teach me how to be more independent and appreciate their company even more. So that is what I am most looking forward to.

I am going to Amsterdam, Netherlands from September 2nd- December 22nd. I am doing a SIT program- International Perspectives on Sexuality and Gender. After the first week of orientation, I will move into a home stay for the remainder of the program. I am actually relieved to be staying in a home stay because this is my first time overseas period.  I don't really know "thrown-in-another-country-Alex". I went to Tijuana when I was little, but people assumed I was a Mexican child and went to Canada a few weeks ago, but was basically in Northern New York, so I can't predict how I will react to a new culture, new language, etc. I'm trying not to assume anything of myself though because I may do great and I may fail. That's what blogging is for. So, I can really write down and track my demise (and so can my friends and family!). The program also includes a two week excursion to Morocco. I've been studying Arabic and Arab studies for the last two years and I am more than excited to have the opportunity to finally use what I have tortured myself over.

The one thing you need to know as I set off on my blogging journey with my closest friends is that I am really ready to go. Some people are sad to spend a semester away from everyone they know and love, but I see it as a completely growing experience. While I will miss everyone, I feel comfortable enough at home to be able to try something new and know it'll all be waiting for me when I get back. Four months of queer studies is waiting for me and I am ready to immerse myself in it 100%. I can not be more ready to run



No comments:

Post a Comment